PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Attorney General Peter F. Neronha announced that a Providence man was sentenced yesterday in Kent County Superior Court to serve 20 years at the Adult Correctional Institutions (ACI) after committing a violent assault in 2017 that left a Warwick man in a coma.

Michael Decosta (age 23), was found guilty on February 27, 2020 by a Kent County Superior Court jury on one count of felony assault and battery.

At yesterday’s hearing before Superior Court Justice Daniel Procaccini, Decosta was sentenced to serve 20 years at the ACI, the statutory maximum. The court ordered that Decosta complete substance and anger management counseling and issued a no contact order between Decosta and the victim.

“The defendant’s violent assault here was completely unjustified and caused significant, life-altering injury to his victim,” said Attorney General Neronha. “Yesterday’s long sentence reflects the seriousness of the defendant’s inexcusable conduct and the threat he poses to public safety, and is entirely well-deserved.”

During trial, the State proved beyond a reasonable doubt that on the evening of December 3, 2017, Decosta violently punched a man while outside of a party at a house on Lincoln Avenue in Warwick.

Immediately after the unprovoked attack, Decosta fled the scene and actively hid from police with the assistance of his mother.

The victim of the attack was rushed to the hospital, where it was determined that he suffered critical injuries to his brain and head.

Decosta was arrested days later and subsequently released on bail. While out on bail, Decosta committed multiple felonies including first-degree robbery, larceny, and escaped from home confinement only to later be captured through the joint efforts of the Rhode Island and Massachusetts Violent Fugitive Task Forces. He faces pending felony charges stemming from his actions while out on bail.

After undergoing a series of surgeries to save his life, the victim of the attack was placed in a medically induced coma to reduce swelling around his brain. He has since recovered from his life-threatening injuries but faces ongoing cognitive impairments.

Lieutenant Andrew Sullivan of the Warwick Police Department led the investigation into the case. Special Assistant Attorney General Arthur DeFelice prosecuted the case on behalf of the Office of the Attorney General.

At least 100-million people could be protected from coronavirus by the end of February. That word today from the doctor leading Operation Warp Speed. He says the U.S. should be able to immunize that amount, and possibly even more if a third vaccine is approved by then.       The CDC is officially shortening the amount of time someone should quarantine after being exposed to coronavirus. A full 14-days is still recommended but now there are two other alternatives. If no symptoms develop, ten days is okay. It drops to seven with a negative test.        Canada isn't ready to reopen its borders until the U.S. can control the spread of coronavirus. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau [[ true-DOH ]] calls the outbreaks "extremely serious." But he actually wants to see better numbers on a worldwide scale before allowing visitors again.        The ACLU is calling out three agencies for allegedly tracking immigrants by their cell phone. They're suing Homeland Security, Customs and Border Protection, and Immigration and Customs Enforcement. They want records released about access to a database.        Lawmakers are racing to find an agreement on another coronavirus stimulus bill. That seemed enough for Wall Street today. The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 60 points to close at 29-884. The S&P 500 gained seven points to 36-69. The Nasdaq lost 6 points to 12-349.       A marijuana charge is being dropped against an 18-year-old in Texas after he was kicked and tased by police. The whole thing was caught on surveillance video and went viral last month. Officials says the officers did a "premature search" when they found two ounces of pot.